BY: ANDY HUNT
1975 All-WKC Team
Instead of the normal opponent preview, we are going to have a a "pop quiz" this week to see how big of a fan you are by answering these questions below. This is not meant to be easy. Question answers range from the 1960s to last week. There is no prize for answering the questions. Answers are at the bottom. Good luck!
- What season did the Rockets have their first winning record?
- Who was the 1984 team MVP?
- What significance does the number 343 have in Rocket Football history?
- Who was the last player to wear the #18?
- What graduating class holds the record for most wins?
- How many points was Caldwell County ahead in the 2004 matchup before Crittenden County came back and won, 28-26? Hint: It is an unlucky number for some…
- In 1979, who set the school record for sacks in a game with four?
- In 1980, what school from Muhlenberg County did Crittenden County beat which is no longer in existence 64-8?
- What school holds an 0-11 record against the Rockets?
- What player holds the record for consecutive games with a reception?
- Brad Madden kicked the longest field goal in school in 1999 against Murray. How long was the kick?
- This player holds the school record for two-conversion in a career, who is it? Hint: He was also the last player to wear the number 28.
- Chad Perryman kicked the longest known punt in school history in 1993 against Trigg County. How long was the punt? 72 yards, 79 yards, or 83 yards
- Who is the last Rocket running back to have 100 yards rushing in a game? QBs are excluded.
- Who was the PA announcer at last week's ballgame?
Last week in Review
- Broken or Tied Single Game School Records When Playing Hopkins County Central
- Passing Completions: 21, Micah Newcom (Previous: Hunter Boone, 2016 with 17)
- Passing Touchdowns: 3 (twice), Hunter Boone (2018) and Micah Newcom (2023)
- Receptions: 8 (twice), Ethan Hunt (2016) and Caden Howard (2023)
- Receiving Touchdowns: 2 (three times), Dustin Hernandez (2010), Devon Nesbitt (2018), & Caden Howard (2023)
- Interceptions: 2 (three times), Dustin Hernandez (2010), Tyler Boone (2017), and Gabe Keller (2023)
- Caden Howard pulled in eight receptions against Hopkins Central. That is tied for the 12th most receptions in a single game. In the past five seasons, the only time a player has had more receptions was in 2022 when Kaleb Nesbitt had nine receptions against DeSales.
- Micah Newcom had a career high in passing attempts with 34. His previous high was 30 against DeSales last season. This is the 19th time a QB has had 34 or more passing attempts in a game.
- Micah Newcom had his sixth career 200+ yard passing game last week. Only Austin Berry (7) and Hunter Boone (12) have more games with 200 or more passing yards.
- Last week, Tyler Belt had career highs in receptions (5) and receiving yards (81). His previous career high (72) in receiving yards was set against Fort Knox in Round 1 of the playoffs in 2022.
- Since 2017, only three times has a Rocket had two interceptions in a single game. Preston Morgeson in 2020 (Murray), Kaleb Nesbitt in 2021 (Fulton County), and Gabe Keller last week against Hopkins Central.
- Gabe Keller’s two interceptions broke a streak of three games in which the Rockets had not intercepted a pass. Oddly, in the past 57 games there has been a streak of three games without an interception only one other time.
- The Rocket defense is surrendering 12.5 first downs on average per game. 12.5 is the highest average in that category since the 1990 that team gave up 13.3 per game.
- CC opponents are averaging the most penalties per game ever at 10.5 per game in 2023. The previous high is 9.3 in 1999.
- The Rocket offense is on pace to have the fewest rushing attempts and yards in a season. The current record is 771 yards and 289 rushing attempts both in 1994.
- The passing attack by the Rockets is averaging more passing completions and attempts than any other season (15.0 completions per game, 25.8 attempts per game).
- CC has not had a 100-yard rusher this season. The last time a CC offense did not have a 100-yard rusher during the course of a season was 1989 and records are incomplete for that season.
- The last time a Rocket running back ran for 100 or more yards in a game was 2021 versus Fulton County in the regular season. Gattin Travis piled up 114 yards on 14 carries. That was 22 games ago. Since 1980, 22 games is the longest streak in which the offense has gone without a 100-yard performance by a running back. Single game records in this category are not available prior to 1980.
2023 Class 2A,
District 1 Review
- Mayfield (3-1) – Mayfield dispatched McCracken County without much issue. They are “open” this week.
- Murray (3-1) – Lost to Union County 27-7. Murray will rebound with a win this week against Fulton County. Murray has over 1,500 yards of offense this season including three receivers with over 200 yards receiving already.
- Caldwell County (0-4) – Graves County pounded Caldwell County, 48-0, in week 4. Caldwell hasn’t won a game since October of 2022 and this is their second season in a row with a four-game losing streak. Caldwell has only 522 yards of total offense this season and has the same number of interceptions (4) as total touchdowns scored (4).
Class 2A, District 2
- Owensboro Catholic (4-0) – Owensboro High proved to be a challenge but OC pulled out the 33-28 victory. QB, Brady Atwell was 20/32 for 279 yards passing with two passing TDs. Atwell also rushed 13 times for 101 yards and three rushing TDs. Henderson County is up next for the Aces. Aces by 21.
- Todd County Central (2-2) – TCC took an easy one at home against Stewart County (TN), 43-0. McLean County (3-1) is up next in Calhoun. McLean will take this one.
- Edmonson County (1-3) – EC was able to hold off Caverna, 43-28, for their first win of the season. Ohio County is up next. OC dropped a game to Muhlenberg County last week, 28-14. That 14-point victory was Muhlenberg’s fifth largest margin of victory since 2019. EC by 14 over Ohio County.
- Fort Campbell (1-3) – Madisonville took care of dispatching FC rather quickly. The final score ended up being 56-7. The Army Bowl is this week against Fort Knox (0-4) who has only scored 25 points this season. Expect Fort Campbell to take this one. FC by 24.
Record Breaker Watch
- Micah Newcom
- Passing Yards – Career
- 1. Hunter Boone – 6,763
- 2. Luke Crider – 3,949
- 3. Austin Berry – 3,744
- 4. Micah Newcom – 3,097
- 5. Nick Castiller – 2,814
- 6. Jamie Curtis - 2,813
- 7. J.D. Gray – 2,172
- With 301 more passing yards, Newcom will have the school's 13th season with 1,000 or more passing yards. He will also be the fourth quarterback to pass for 1,000 yards or more in multiple seasons.
- Micah Newcom has 240 completions in his career which ranks 3rd all-time. Next up are Luke Crider with 283 and Hunter Boone with 489.
- Micah Newcom has 58 completions this season which is the 30th time a Rocket QB has completed 50 or more passes in a season. Assuming the Rockets at least make it to the second round of the playoffs, Newcom is on pass to break Hunter Boone’s season record of 171 completions. Newcom is on pace for 174.
- Micah Newcom has 367 career passing attempts during his time as Rocket which is the 6th most in that category. Next up are Austin Berry (2002-2005) with 396 and Jamie Curtis (1989-1992) with 426.
- Passing Touchdowns – Career
- 1. Hunter Boone (2015-2018) – 84
- 2. Luke Crider (2018-2021) – 49
- 3. Austin Berry (2002-2005) – 47
- 4. Micah Newcom (2020-Present) – 36
- 5. J.D. Gray (2006-2009) – 24
- Yards of Offense (Passing and Rushing Yards) – Career
- 5. Nick Castiller (2012-2015) – 3,894
- 6. Austin Berry (2002-2005) – 3,849
- 7. Micah Newcom (2020-Present) – 3,581
- 8. Devon Nesbitt (2015-2018) – 3,572
- 9. Jamie Curtis (1989-1992) – 3,356
- 10. Jimmy Hopper (1960-1963) – 3,028 (stats incomplete)
- Micah Newcom has been responsible for 49 total career TDs in his career. This ranks him 6th in that category. Next up are Luke Crider with 55 and Austin Berry with 57.
- Caden Howard
- Career Receiving Yards
- With eight more receiving yards, Caden Howard will become the 26th player to have 500 receiving yards in their time as Rocket.
- If Caden Howard collects those eight yards receiving, he is believed to be the youngest receiver (approximately five games into his sophomore season) to have 500 career receiving yards. The most total receiving yards at the conclusion of a player’s freshman and sophomore season is Chad Perryman with 850 yards receiving.
- Career Receptions
- Caden Howard is the 23rd player to have at least 40 career receptions. Next up are Cody Belt with 41, Maeson Myers with 42, Rodney Robertson & Gaige Courtney with 43, and Alex Cosby with 44.
- Consecutive Games with a Reception
- 5. Alex Cosby – 15
- 6. Dylan Hollis – 13
- 6. Cody Belt – 13
- 6. Payton Riley – 13
- 6. Kaleb Nesbitt – 13
- 6. Caden Howard – 13 (9- '22; 4- '23)
- 11. Bobby Knox – 12 (1 reception - 2011; 11 receptions - 2012)
- 12. Brysen Baker – 11
- 13. Branen Lamey – 10 (3- '16; 7- '17)
Test Your Rocket Football Knowledge ANSWERS
- What season did the Rockets have their first winning record?
- Alex Summers
- 343 yards is the single game rushing record set in 1963 by Jimmy Hopper.
- No one has ever worn 18.
- 2000 with 37 wins. The second most wins came from the class of 2021.
- 13. This is the largest comeback after trailing at the end of the first quarter.
- Mike Wheeler. Wheeler was All-WKC first team in 1979.
- Ethan Dossett with 26
- 42 Yards
- Gaige Courtney with eight.
- 72 yards. The punt is the KHSAA record book as well.
- Gattin Travis, 2021 Fulton County, 14 carries for 114 yards
- Del Brantley